Bombay HC orders Gutka barons to surrender for Dawood links
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday rejected
the plea of gutka barons Rasiklal Manikchand Dhariwal and
Jagdish Joshi challenging non-bailable warrants issued against
them by a special court for their alleged nexus with
underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.
The duo also challenged registration of case against them
under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) after
obtaining sanction from the competent authority.
Both are living abroad since 2004 and have not returned
to India in view of the warrants issued against them.
Dhariwal and Joshi were accused of exporting gutka
manufacturing machines to Pakistan via Dubai to enable the
Karachi-based don set up gutka business empire in the
A division bench headed by Justice Ajay Khanvilkar,
however, stayed the operation of the special court`s order on
issue of non-bailable warrants for a period of four weeks to
enable the duo appear before the MCOCA court after giving 48
hours notice to investigating officer.
The court also held that it would be open for the
investigating officer to present supplementary chargesheet
against the petitioners.
The High Court ruled that it was keeping the question
open in regard to continuation of the passports of the two
petitioners lying with the special court and execution of
non-bailable warrants against them.
The bench asked the special court to consider these
Both were implicated in the case after Rajesh Pancharia,
a Dawood Ibrahim gang member, was arrested. It was Rajesh who
told police that gutka machines were sent by him to Dawood in
Pakistan at the instance of Dhariwal and Joshi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened