Bombay HC refuses to restore PIL on allotment of plots to judges` societies
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday refused to restore a public interest litigation which alleged irregularities in the allotment of land for two housing societies of judges in the suburban Bandra-Kurla Complex.
Former journalist and activist Ketan Tirodkar had sought restoration of his PIL challenging allotment of the plots for the proposed Siddhant and Nyay Sagar societies.
The Nyay Sagar plot was meant to rehabilitate the persons displaced due to public projects, while the other plot was reserved for a subordinate court building and staff quarters. But these reservations were lifted by the government while making the allotment.
The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice RV More had dismissed Tirodkar`s PIL in October 2012 as he failed to appear for the hearing on several occasions.
He then filed an application seeking restoration of the PIL, but failed to appear even this time.
"The PIL was dismissed due to the petitioner`s absence despite given time on several occasions. Even today the petitioner is not present.
Hence we do not feel the need to entertain this application," the court said.
A PIL on the same issue by another activist, Nitin Deshpande, was also dismissed in November last year, with the High Court observing that Maharashtra government had followed the required norms and procedures in the allotment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL