Bombay HC refuses to restore PIL on allotment of plots to judges` societies
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday refused to restore a public interest litigation which alleged irregularities in the allotment of land for two housing societies of judges in the suburban Bandra-Kurla Complex.
Former journalist and activist Ketan Tirodkar had sought restoration of his PIL challenging allotment of the plots for the proposed Siddhant and Nyay Sagar societies.
The Nyay Sagar plot was meant to rehabilitate the persons displaced due to public projects, while the other plot was reserved for a subordinate court building and staff quarters. But these reservations were lifted by the government while making the allotment.
The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice RV More had dismissed Tirodkar`s PIL in October 2012 as he failed to appear for the hearing on several occasions.
He then filed an application seeking restoration of the PIL, but failed to appear even this time.
"The PIL was dismissed due to the petitioner`s absence despite given time on several occasions. Even today the petitioner is not present.
Hence we do not feel the need to entertain this application," the court said.
A PIL on the same issue by another activist, Nitin Deshpande, was also dismissed in November last year, with the High Court observing that Maharashtra government had followed the required norms and procedures in the allotment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen