Bombay HC releases Rs 15.41 lakh spent on securing Shakti Mills
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government has informed the Bombay High Court that Public Works Department had recently spent Rs 15.41 lakh to build a boundary wall, barbed wire fencing, security cabin and the main gate of the defunct Shakti Mills where a photojournalist and a telephone operator were gang-raped in separate incidents last year.
Amicus Curaie (friend of the court) Naushad Engineer pleaded that the amount may be released from the corpus of the official liquidator, who had visited the site and inspected the work carried out by the PWD.
Accordingly, Justice S J Kathawala yesterday approved the release of this amount from the funds held by the official liquidator.
The court was informed that the PWD had completed securing of the premises which was ordered soon after the gang-rape cases in June and August last year.
The work was to be carried out in three phases. The first two phases -- clearing the shrubbery and barbed wire fencing -- are over. The third one involving electrification of the compound wall is underway.
According to PWD, the total expenses for cleaning and securing the premises in Shakti Mills Compound would be to the tune of Rs 1.58 crore.
The company, owned by the Poddar family, is under liquidation. Since the mill had turned deserted, incidents of gang rape took place on the premises, following which steps were initiated to secure the place and ensure that the entire area is well-lit during the night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'