Bombay HC reserves order on MMRDA plea challenging Mumbai Metro fares
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today reserved its order on an arbitration petition filed by Mumbai Metropolitan Regional Development Authority opposing the fares of Versova-Ghatkopar section of Mumbai Metro which became operational this month.
MMRDA, a state agency, and Anil Ambani-led Reliance Infrastructure, both of whom are part of Mumbai Metro One Private Ltd, have had a disagreement over the fares.
Justice R D Dhanuka today reserved the order till June 24 after hearing both sides. While the state government wants minimum fare of Rs 9 and maximum fare of Rs 13, the Mumbai Metro One Pvt Ltd has announced higher fares ranging between Rs 10 to Rs 40.
According to MMRDA, fares had been decided collectively by all the stake-holders earlier and RInfra cannot change them unilaterally without following a due procedure.
"The project is not set up for private profit. It is a joint project by the public and the private sector for the people. Therefore, they cannot raise the fares arbitrarily," said senior counsel E P Bharucha representing MMRDA.
Bharucha said the fares can be revised only after a nod from Fare Fixation Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA