Bombay HC to hear Adarsh scam case on Feb 8
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday posted for hearing on February 8 a PIL alleging money laundering in the Adarsh Housing scam.
After hearing the PIL of petitioner Pravin Wategaonkar, Justices S J Vazifdar and Mridula Bhatkar said they would hear the matter on February 8.
The petition filed by Wategaonkar has sought direction to the Enforcement Directorate and Income Tax department to probe alleged money laundering by former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan and 13 others for their alleged role in the Adarsh Housing scam.
An ECIR (Enforcement Case Information Report) has been registered under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act against 14 people. These are the same people who have been named as accused by CBI in the FIR, Counsel for Enforcement Directorate, probing the matter, had told the court earlier.
It is alleged that the accused got clearances to construct Adarsh illegally and obtained flats at a very low price. The accused projected tainted property as untainted. Prima facie, it constitutes offence under Sec 3 of PMLA, the ECIR stated.
The court had asked the ED to make a statement on the applicability on provisions of Prevention of Money Laundering Act but so far the probe agency has not made any statement.
Wategaonkar`s petition contended that this is a fit case in which Prevention of Money Laundering Act can be invoked. It urged the court to order the investigating agency to probe the source of the funds used for the purchase of flats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price