Bombay HC to hear Adarsh scam case on Feb 8
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday posted for hearing on February 8 a PIL alleging money laundering in the Adarsh Housing scam.
After hearing the PIL of petitioner Pravin Wategaonkar, Justices S J Vazifdar and Mridula Bhatkar said they would hear the matter on February 8.
The petition filed by Wategaonkar has sought direction to the Enforcement Directorate and Income Tax department to probe alleged money laundering by former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan and 13 others for their alleged role in the Adarsh Housing scam.
An ECIR (Enforcement Case Information Report) has been registered under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act against 14 people. These are the same people who have been named as accused by CBI in the FIR, Counsel for Enforcement Directorate, probing the matter, had told the court earlier.
It is alleged that the accused got clearances to construct Adarsh illegally and obtained flats at a very low price. The accused projected tainted property as untainted. Prima facie, it constitutes offence under Sec 3 of PMLA, the ECIR stated.
The court had asked the ED to make a statement on the applicability on provisions of Prevention of Money Laundering Act but so far the probe agency has not made any statement.
Wategaonkar`s petition contended that this is a fit case in which Prevention of Money Laundering Act can be invoked. It urged the court to order the investigating agency to probe the source of the funds used for the purchase of flats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'