Bombay HC`s poser to Maharashtra Police on vacancies
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday asked the Maharashtra Police whether it was geared to tackle the issue of vacancies that will be created due to retirements every year and suggested setting up of more training centres for the force.
A Division Bench of Justices AM Khanwilkar and AP Bhangale made the observation while hearing a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) highlighting large vacancies in police force.
"Every year there might be a percentage of police officers retiring from the force thus creating more vacancies. Are you (police) geared up to tackle this issue? You need to have more training centres so that the number of police personnel recruited after training is double than those retiring," Justice Khanwilkar said.
Asked by the Bench as to how many police officers retire every year in the state, Additional Public Prosecutor Prajakta Shinde put the figure at 10 to 15 but this failed to convince the Judges.
"How can only 15 persons retire every year from a force with a strength of over two lakh. Ask some senior police officer to remain present on the next date," the court said and posted the matter for further hearing on March 25.
The HC was informed two additional training centres will be set up soon and by December 2013 the number of posts lying vacant in the police department will come down to 4,900.
An affidavit filed last year by NM Shinde, Deputy Secretary, Home Department, stated that 26,985 posts of police officers were vacant in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!