Bombay High Court orders FIR against 9 cops in custodial death case
Mumbai: Observing that prima facie it was a serious crime, the Bombay High Court asked Mumbai crime branch here on Tuesday, to probe and file an FIR against nine policemen for their alleged roles in the custodial death of a youth and sexual abuse of three others held in a robbery case.
Hearing a petition, Justices V M Kanade and P D Kode asked Director General of Police to personally monitor the probe. The bench placed the matter for hearing on June 13.
The judges asked the Maharashtra state government and other respondents to hand over the post mortem report of 24-year-old victim Agnelo Valdaris who died in police custody here in April 18, 2014. The judges directed that medical reports of the victim and the hospital register should be handed over to the deceased victim`s father.
The court was hearing a petition filed by the father of the deceased Leonard Xavier Valdaris and three other persons who were also arrested in this case along with Agnelo and were allegedly sexually abused in police custody.
The Wadala police claimed that Agnelo was killed after being run over by a train while attempting to flee from custody on April 18, 2014.
Counsel for the petitioners, Yug Choudhary, denied allegations that the boys had committed theft and said that the police was responsible for Agnelo`s custodial death.
The four boys were picked up by Wadala railway police from their residence on April 15 and April 16. They were taken to the police station where they were allegedly beaten up and questioned where they had kept a gold chain and a ring suspected to be stolen by them.
Though the petition demanded a CBI inquiry, the court did not give any such relief. However, judges said that it is a serious crime and hence asked the Crime Branch to register an FIR immediately against the nine accused cops.
The petition also sought compensation of Rs 1 crore for the deceased and Rs 50 lakh for each of the three others who were arrested and allegedly sexually abused in custody.
The other three petitioners are Sufiyan Mohammed Khan, Mohammed Irfan Hajan and Arbaz Shamim Khan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India