Bombay High Court stops JCC from removing Lilavati Trustee till June 13
Mumbai: In a temporary relief, the Bombay High Court has restrained the Charity Commissioner`s office from removing the name of Pramod Mehta, Trustee of Lilavati Hospital, from the Trust register until June 13.
The order was passed by Justice Nitin Jamdar, who heard a petition filed by Mehta challenging the April 5 order of the Joint Charity Commissioner (JCC) removing him as trustee of Lilavati Kirtilal Mehta medical trust which runs 315-bedded multi-speciality Lilavati Hospital in suburban Bandra.
The JCC had removed Mehta as Trustee on a complaint filed by his relative and Trustee Charuben Mehta. The JCC order said Mehta was being removed as "he had a conviction against him for offence of moral turpitude in Belgium."
Being aggrieved, Mehta moved a civil court which refused to grant a stay on April 5 order of JCC while hearing his appeal. Mehta then filed a petition in the High Court which recently granted him temporary relief till June 13, the next date of hearing.
Pramod Mehta, younger brother of former CEO of Lilavati Hospital late Vijay Mehta, is locked in a family feud over the control of the Rs 900 crore hospital.
While granting relief to Mehta, the Court, however, directed that he would not operate any bank accounts of the Trust. The Court also ordered that he would not be party to any decision making process which has financial consequences.
The Court held that in respect of other decisions, the Board of Trustees of Lilavati Hospital can transact business without involving Mehta and if the Trustee chose to involve him in the decision making process other than financial matters, then those decisions will be subject to the final outcome of the application pending before the Civil Court.
The Court, however, gave liberty to Mehta to move the vacation court in case any emergent situation arose.
Mehta`s Counsel Prateek Sekseria prayed that the order of the JCC be stayed till the petition was argued on merits.
However, Mahesh Jethmalani, Counsel for Respondent Charuben Mehta, said the order removing the petitioner as a Trustee had already come into effect and he would be able to demonstrate from the order of JCC that he was rightly removed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo