Borgaon riot case: 27 awarded seven years RI
Sangli (Maha): A district sessions court
on Weednesday awarded rigorous imprisonment of seven years each to 27
accused on charges of arson and rioting while acquitting 91
others in the case dated back to 1998.
According to the prosecution, a mob comprising upper
caste people in Borgaon village had set on fire around 46
houses of people from the backward castes on September 15-16,
1998 after an upper caste girl reportedly eloped with a boy
from the village.
118 accused out of 128 against whom the charge sheet
had been filed under various sections of IPC were present in
the court when the verdict was pronounced, while 10 accused
have died over a period of time, the prosecution said.
Judge P R Deshmukh acquitted rest 91 accused for lack
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor