Borgaon riot case: 27 awarded seven years RI
Sangli (Maha): A district sessions court
on Weednesday awarded rigorous imprisonment of seven years each to 27
accused on charges of arson and rioting while acquitting 91
others in the case dated back to 1998.
According to the prosecution, a mob comprising upper
caste people in Borgaon village had set on fire around 46
houses of people from the backward castes on September 15-16,
1998 after an upper caste girl reportedly eloped with a boy
from the village.
118 accused out of 128 against whom the charge sheet
had been filed under various sections of IPC were present in
the court when the verdict was pronounced, while 10 accused
have died over a period of time, the prosecution said.
Judge P R Deshmukh acquitted rest 91 accused for lack
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?