Borgaon riot case: 27 awarded seven years RI
Sangli (Maha): A district sessions court
on Weednesday awarded rigorous imprisonment of seven years each to 27
accused on charges of arson and rioting while acquitting 91
others in the case dated back to 1998.
According to the prosecution, a mob comprising upper
caste people in Borgaon village had set on fire around 46
houses of people from the backward castes on September 15-16,
1998 after an upper caste girl reportedly eloped with a boy
from the village.
118 accused out of 128 against whom the charge sheet
had been filed under various sections of IPC were present in
the court when the verdict was pronounced, while 10 accused
have died over a period of time, the prosecution said.
Judge P R Deshmukh acquitted rest 91 accused for lack
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials