Borgaon riot case: 27 awarded seven years RI
Sangli (Maha): A district sessions court
on Weednesday awarded rigorous imprisonment of seven years each to 27
accused on charges of arson and rioting while acquitting 91
others in the case dated back to 1998.
According to the prosecution, a mob comprising upper
caste people in Borgaon village had set on fire around 46
houses of people from the backward castes on September 15-16,
1998 after an upper caste girl reportedly eloped with a boy
from the village.
118 accused out of 128 against whom the charge sheet
had been filed under various sections of IPC were present in
the court when the verdict was pronounced, while 10 accused
have died over a period of time, the prosecution said.
Judge P R Deshmukh acquitted rest 91 accused for lack
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing