Builder wanted in murder case surrenders before Thane
Thane: The prime suspect of a real estate developer murder case who had been evading arrest for over five months today surrendered before a court here.
Navi Mumbai-based builder Suresh Bijlani, the key accused in Sunil Lahoria murder case, surrendered before Additional Sessions Judge KR Warrier.
Upon surrender, Bijlani was sent to Civil Hospital for medical examination. Ramesh Tripathi, counsel for Bijlani, said the Court has sent his client to judicial custody.
The Court had last month issued non-bailable warrants against Bijlani, his brother Mahesh and architect Anurag Garg in the murder case.
Bijlani`s anticipatory bail plea had been earlier rejected by the Sessions Court, Bombay High Court and also the Supreme Court.
The SC last week directed Bijlani to surrender before Tuesday on a plea filed by Lahoria`s son Sunny against the Madhya Pradesh High Court`s interim bail to the builder.
Lahoria was shot dead on February 16 outside his Navi Mumbai office. Home Department transferred the case from Navi Mumbai Police to Mumbai Crime Branch following allegations of bias in the investigations.
Eight accused had been earlier arrested and these included shooters Venkatesh Shettiar, Wajid Qureshi, realty developer Sumit Bacchewar and retired `encounter specialist` Emmanuel Amolik.
In May, the Crime Branch filed a 1,800-page charge sheet in the Sessions Court here. Three accused, including Bijlani and Garg, were shown as absconding accused.
Business rivalry is suspected to have led to the broad daylight murder, which was caught on CCTV camera.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!