Building collapses in Mumbai due to heavy rains; 1 dead, 4 hurt
Zee Media Bureau
Maharashtra: At least one person was dead and four others were injured when a portion of a four –storey building collapsed in Mahim district here on Monday following heavy downpour for the second consecutive day in Mumbai and coastal Maharashtra, Brihan Mumbai Corporation officials said.
"People are feared to have been trapped after a portion of a four-storey residential building on Cadell Road collapsed," an official said.
The building known as `Altaf` is located on Cadell Road.
Meanwhile, the deceased has been identified as Zaibunissa Abdul Sattar Laakha, the official said, adding rescue operations are still on.
The injured have been shifted to Bhabha Hospital in suburban Bandra, KEM and at Sion Hospital.
According to the Met department, the forecast for today and tomorrow is heavy to very heavy rains over Mumbai and surrounding areas in the next 48 hours, with accompanying strong winds and advice to fishermen not to venture into the Arabian Sea.
Torrential rains from Saturday night onwards has resulted in water-logging in several areas of the city, disrupting normal life.
The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) Disaster Management Cell said over one-and-half foot flooding was witnessed in Dadar east area following heavy rains on Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Certain low-lying areas in Jogeshwari, Vikhroli, Mazagaon, Malad and other areas also reported water-logging after the downpour.
Traffic in many parts slowed as rains affected visibility. Flights too were delayed for the same reason.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi