Building collapses in Mumbai due to heavy rains; 1 dead, 4 hurt
Zee Media Bureau
Maharashtra: At least one person was dead and four others were injured when a portion of a four –storey building collapsed in Mahim district here on Monday following heavy downpour for the second consecutive day in Mumbai and coastal Maharashtra, Brihan Mumbai Corporation officials said.
"People are feared to have been trapped after a portion of a four-storey residential building on Cadell Road collapsed," an official said.
The building known as `Altaf` is located on Cadell Road.
Meanwhile, the deceased has been identified as Zaibunissa Abdul Sattar Laakha, the official said, adding rescue operations are still on.
The injured have been shifted to Bhabha Hospital in suburban Bandra, KEM and at Sion Hospital.
According to the Met department, the forecast for today and tomorrow is heavy to very heavy rains over Mumbai and surrounding areas in the next 48 hours, with accompanying strong winds and advice to fishermen not to venture into the Arabian Sea.
Torrential rains from Saturday night onwards has resulted in water-logging in several areas of the city, disrupting normal life.
The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) Disaster Management Cell said over one-and-half foot flooding was witnessed in Dadar east area following heavy rains on Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Certain low-lying areas in Jogeshwari, Vikhroli, Mazagaon, Malad and other areas also reported water-logging after the downpour.
Traffic in many parts slowed as rains affected visibility. Flights too were delayed for the same reason.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees