Building collapses in Mumbai due to heavy rains; 1 dead, 4 hurt
Zee Media Bureau
Maharashtra: At least one person was dead and four others were injured when a portion of a four –storey building collapsed in Mahim district here on Monday following heavy downpour for the second consecutive day in Mumbai and coastal Maharashtra, Brihan Mumbai Corporation officials said.
"People are feared to have been trapped after a portion of a four-storey residential building on Cadell Road collapsed," an official said.
The building known as `Altaf` is located on Cadell Road.
Meanwhile, the deceased has been identified as Zaibunissa Abdul Sattar Laakha, the official said, adding rescue operations are still on.
The injured have been shifted to Bhabha Hospital in suburban Bandra, KEM and at Sion Hospital.
According to the Met department, the forecast for today and tomorrow is heavy to very heavy rains over Mumbai and surrounding areas in the next 48 hours, with accompanying strong winds and advice to fishermen not to venture into the Arabian Sea.
Torrential rains from Saturday night onwards has resulted in water-logging in several areas of the city, disrupting normal life.
The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) Disaster Management Cell said over one-and-half foot flooding was witnessed in Dadar east area following heavy rains on Saturday night and Sunday morning.
Certain low-lying areas in Jogeshwari, Vikhroli, Mazagaon, Malad and other areas also reported water-logging after the downpour.
Traffic in many parts slowed as rains affected visibility. Flights too were delayed for the same reason.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city