Bus plunges into river in Ratnagiri, 37 killed
Mumbai: At least 37 people were killed and over 15 injured when a Mumbai-bound private luxury bus plunged into a river in Maharashtra`s Ratnagiri district on Tuesday morning.
The bus fell into the Jagbudi river near Khed in Ratnagiri district at around 3.30 am when it was on its way back from Goa, police said.
The bus was on its way to Mumbai on the Goa-Mumbai highway when it fell off the bridge after the driver of the bus lost control, as per reports. The police are investigating whether the driver of the bus was drunk at the time of the accident, as per initial reports.
Several foreigners were also travelling in the bus and one Russian national has been rescued so far.
Bodies of 37 passengers have been recovered so far have been kept at Khed municipal hospital.
Rescue operations are still on and the bus is being retrieved from the river, which has dried up almost, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what