Bus plunges into river in Ratnagiri, 37 killed
Mumbai: At least 37 people were killed and over 15 injured when a Mumbai-bound private luxury bus plunged into a river in Maharashtra`s Ratnagiri district on Tuesday morning.
The bus fell into the Jagbudi river near Khed in Ratnagiri district at around 3.30 am when it was on its way back from Goa, police said.
The bus was on its way to Mumbai on the Goa-Mumbai highway when it fell off the bridge after the driver of the bus lost control, as per reports. The police are investigating whether the driver of the bus was drunk at the time of the accident, as per initial reports.
Several foreigners were also travelling in the bus and one Russian national has been rescued so far.
Bodies of 37 passengers have been recovered so far have been kept at Khed municipal hospital.
Rescue operations are still on and the bus is being retrieved from the river, which has dried up almost, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian Premier League: List of players bought by franchises at Saturday's auction
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode