Bus plunges into river in Ratnagiri, 37 killed
Mumbai: At least 37 people were killed and over 15 injured when a Mumbai-bound private luxury bus plunged into a river in Maharashtra`s Ratnagiri district on Tuesday morning.
The bus fell into the Jagbudi river near Khed in Ratnagiri district at around 3.30 am when it was on its way back from Goa, police said.
The bus was on its way to Mumbai on the Goa-Mumbai highway when it fell off the bridge after the driver of the bus lost control, as per reports. The police are investigating whether the driver of the bus was drunk at the time of the accident, as per initial reports.
Several foreigners were also travelling in the bus and one Russian national has been rescued so far.
Bodies of 37 passengers have been recovered so far have been kept at Khed municipal hospital.
Rescue operations are still on and the bus is being retrieved from the river, which has dried up almost, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan