Bus plunges into river in Ratnagiri, 37 killed
Mumbai: At least 37 people were killed and over 15 injured when a Mumbai-bound private luxury bus plunged into a river in Maharashtra`s Ratnagiri district on Tuesday morning.
The bus fell into the Jagbudi river near Khed in Ratnagiri district at around 3.30 am when it was on its way back from Goa, police said.
The bus was on its way to Mumbai on the Goa-Mumbai highway when it fell off the bridge after the driver of the bus lost control, as per reports. The police are investigating whether the driver of the bus was drunk at the time of the accident, as per initial reports.
Several foreigners were also travelling in the bus and one Russian national has been rescued so far.
Bodies of 37 passengers have been recovered so far have been kept at Khed municipal hospital.
Rescue operations are still on and the bus is being retrieved from the river, which has dried up almost, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth