Calm prevails in Nashik village after canecharge on farmers
Nashik: A day after police resorted to
lathicharge on agitating farmers here, the situation remained
calm and under control in Gulvanch village of Sinnar taluka,
Four farmers were injured when police canecharged to
disperse them yesterday. They were protesting land acquisition
for a proposed SEZ here in North Maharashtra.
Police have registered offences against one hundred
farmers for obstructing ongoing project works and injuring a
police inspector Mangalsingh Suryavanshi of Sinnar after
allegedly beating him up in a temple.
The protesters also ransacked the camera of a electronic
media man who went to Gulvanch to cover the farmers agitation.
Suryavanshi has been admitted to a private hospital here.
People from 13 villages, especially farmers, who are
opposing a thermal power station project at Gulvanch closed
down Musalgaon-Gulvanch, Baragaon-Pimpri-Datali and Gulvanch-
Khopadi roads, police said adding now the situation is under
control and there have not reports of violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted