Calm prevails in Nashik village after canecharge on farmers
Nashik: A day after police resorted to
lathicharge on agitating farmers here, the situation remained
calm and under control in Gulvanch village of Sinnar taluka,
Four farmers were injured when police canecharged to
disperse them yesterday. They were protesting land acquisition
for a proposed SEZ here in North Maharashtra.
Police have registered offences against one hundred
farmers for obstructing ongoing project works and injuring a
police inspector Mangalsingh Suryavanshi of Sinnar after
allegedly beating him up in a temple.
The protesters also ransacked the camera of a electronic
media man who went to Gulvanch to cover the farmers agitation.
Suryavanshi has been admitted to a private hospital here.
People from 13 villages, especially farmers, who are
opposing a thermal power station project at Gulvanch closed
down Musalgaon-Gulvanch, Baragaon-Pimpri-Datali and Gulvanch-
Khopadi roads, police said adding now the situation is under
control and there have not reports of violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway