Campa Cola housing society row: Chavan says state seeking view of legal experts
Nagpur: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday said the state government was seeking the view of legal experts to provide possible relief to residents of Campa Cola housing society in Mumbai who are facing eviction and demolition of illegal floors.
"The state government is examining the issue on how to go ahead and has already sought the opinion of State Advocate General. The government is seeking views of other legal experts on the possible relief against the backdrop of Supreme Court order," Chavan told reporters here.
The statement by the Chief Minister came even as Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) initiated action to disconnect power and water connections of the occupants of the Campa Cola society in suburban Worli.
The BMC, which had last week issued eviction notice to occupants of illegal floors, today moved to raze them amid protests from the residents who barricaded entry gates and stayed put.
The Supreme Court had set November 11 deadline to vacate 102 flats declared illegal.
Families living in the compound had pinned their hopes on Chavan stepping in and saving their homes by passing an ordinance to regularise their flats.
Chavan yesterday ruled out promulgating an ordinance and said the opinion of Advocate General Darius Khambata on the Campa Cola Society was negative.
The chief minister had asked Union Minister Milind Deora to seek the views of country`s top legal officer, the Attorney General, against the backdrop of the apex court order.
Meanwhile, responding to a query on allegations that implementation of the project to build a statue of Maratha king Shivaji in the Arabian sea off Mumbai coast is hanging fire, the Chief Minister said the project got delayed on account of unavailability of environmental clearance.
On acquisition of the Indu Mills land in Mumbai for the memorial of Dr B R Ambedkar, Chavan said it is under process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Maharashtra to call special assembly session on Aug 29 to ratify GST Bill
- PATHETIC! No water, missing Indian officials reason behind OP Jaisha's collapse in Rio
- Eat oranges to ward off heart disease, diabetes risk
- Indian equity markets slip on negative global cues
- Low job satisfaction can hamper your mental health