Campa Cola Society case: What can we do, says Venkaiah Naidu
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: As the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) started the process to evict illegal flats of the Campa Cola Compound, Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu on Friday sympathised with the affected residents, but said that the government cannot intervene since the matter is in court.
Speaking to ANI, Naidu said, “The matter is in court and in advanced stage, what can we do.”
Meanwhile, the BMC officials today faced huge protests from hundreds of residents of the Campa Cola Society when they arrived here to begin the eviction of illegal flats, which are to be demolished as per the Supreme Court order.
Seven buildings of Campa Cola Housing Society in south Mumbai were constructed between 1981 and 1989. The builders had permission for only six floors, but one of the buildings `Midtown`, has 20 floors and another `Orchid` 17.
As many as 102 illegal flats in the seven buildings in the compound are to be razed.
The apex court by its Nov 19, 2013, order set May 31, 2014, deadline for the owners of 96 unauthorised flats in the Mumbai-based Campa Cola Society to vacate their flats.
The Nov 19, 2013, order was passed after the apex court took suo motu cognizance of the newspaper reports that the BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation, in pursuance of the apex court`s earlier order of Feb 27, 2013, had moved in to demolish 96 flats of the Campa Cola housing complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi