Campa Cola Society case: What can we do, says Venkaiah Naidu
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: As the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) started the process to evict illegal flats of the Campa Cola Compound, Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu on Friday sympathised with the affected residents, but said that the government cannot intervene since the matter is in court.
Speaking to ANI, Naidu said, “The matter is in court and in advanced stage, what can we do.”
Meanwhile, the BMC officials today faced huge protests from hundreds of residents of the Campa Cola Society when they arrived here to begin the eviction of illegal flats, which are to be demolished as per the Supreme Court order.
Seven buildings of Campa Cola Housing Society in south Mumbai were constructed between 1981 and 1989. The builders had permission for only six floors, but one of the buildings `Midtown`, has 20 floors and another `Orchid` 17.
As many as 102 illegal flats in the seven buildings in the compound are to be razed.
The apex court by its Nov 19, 2013, order set May 31, 2014, deadline for the owners of 96 unauthorised flats in the Mumbai-based Campa Cola Society to vacate their flats.
The Nov 19, 2013, order was passed after the apex court took suo motu cognizance of the newspaper reports that the BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation, in pursuance of the apex court`s earlier order of Feb 27, 2013, had moved in to demolish 96 flats of the Campa Cola housing complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened