Campa Cola society not be demolished during monsoon: Maharashtra CM Chavan
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The hopes of Campa Cola society residents received a major fillip on Thursday as the Maharashtra government noted that the society would not be demolished during the monsoon season.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan assured BJP MP Gopal Shetty that the Campa Cola society would not be demolished during the monsoons and the state government would take Advocate General`s opinion over the matter.
The BJP MP had argued as to why was the entire building being demolished if only some portion of it was illegal.
Chavan agreed to consult the Attorney General on what can be the legal option for the state after the apex court order.
The government order comes as a respite for over 100 residents who live in the nine buildings in the Campa Cola society.
Their deadline to vacate the premise was to end today and they were to vacate their apartments as per the Supreme Court order.
The plea of residents of the building living there for years, located in suburban Worli, was rejected by the Supreme Court on Tuesday.
Their plea sought a stay on the demolition of their flats till the court decides on their curative petition, which is to come up for hearing next month.
The curative petition, quoting information received through RTI, says that the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai and the state had decided to regularise the illegal construction in 1985.
Earlier, CM Chavan had said said that the state government would not intervene in the issue, but he was willing to consider any proposal provided it is in the legal framework and did not affect the Supreme Court order regarding the razing of the flats.
Over 100 illegal flats are to be razed by the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video