Campaign for Maharashtra municipal elections ends
Mumbai: Campaign for the February 16
municipal corporation elections in Mumbai and nine other civic
bodies ended on Tuesday.
In Mumbai, a triangular contest is on cards between the
Congress-NCP combine, Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI alliance and the Raj
Elections are also being held in Thane, Ulhasnagar, Pune,
Pimpri-Chinchwad, Solapur, Nashik, Akola, Amravati and Nagpur
municipal corporations. The 10 civic bodies have an electorate
of 3.5 crore and will elect 1,244 candidates, including 624
Senior leaders like NCP chief Sharad Pawar, Sena chief
Bal Thackeray and Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan addressed a
flurry of poll meetings to campaign for their respective
parties for the February 16 elections, seen as mini Assembly
In the 227-seat Mumbai corporation, the election is a
fiercely fought affair. It is a challenge for the Congress-NCP
combine which aims to dethrone the Sena-BJP combine, at the
helm of civic affairs for the last 16 years.
The polls will also prove credentials of Maharashtra
Navnirman Sena (MNS), which threatens to endanger the Sena
stronghold. Political analysts are describing the elections as
a battle of survival for the Shiv Sena as the politically
significant Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has been
in its hold since 1996.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar, an old friend of Thackeray, was
quoted in a section of media as saying that the saffron party
is on the decline and 86-year old Thackeray`s son Uddhav, now
Sena executive president, is a `failure`.
The campaign was a no-holds-barred one where personality
clashes came to the fore. There was war of words between Raj
and Uddhav and also between senior ministers Narayan Rane and
Ajit Pawar. Raj was involved in a verbal duel with senior
minister Chhagan Bhujbal.
An aggressive Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan led the
Congress attack on the opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm