Campaigning in Mumbai suburban district under strict watch
Mumbai: Authorities will maintain a strict vigil on candidates campaigning and canvassing for votes in four Parliamentary constituencies in Mumbai Suburban district, with an electorate of over 73 lakh, to check any irregularities.
District Collector Shekhar Channe told reporters three video surveillance teams will cover each assembly segment in all the four constituencies.
"The teams will be assisted by flying squads and also by static surveillance teams. They will track any illegal activities like distribution of cash or liquor and will have the powers of seizure. The flying squads will include a special executive magistrate and three police officials," Channe said.
The parliamentary constituencies are Mumbai North, Mumbai North East, Mumbai North West and Mumbai North Central.
These constituencies, along with Mumbai South and Mumbai South Central, will go to polls on April 24.
"Preparations for conducting the polls are complete and a special drive tomorrow will enable voters to rectify changes in the voter rolls as well as make additions," the Collector said.
He said booth-level officers from Election Commission will distribute voting slips in addition to the political party workers. There will be 7000 polling staff in the district.
"Out of the 73,11,500 voters, 40,54,347 are men and 32,66,077 are women. While 73 are transgenders. As per the 2009 voter list, there were 72,08,278 voters in the suburbs. Since 2013, there have been 7,38,854 deletions and eight lakh additions in the voter list," Channe said.
He said new enrolment in suburbs has increased by around 8 lakh in the recent times, which is expected to go up as the registration for new voters will continue till March 25.
The Collectorate has also started new helpline number 1800221952 for complaints regarding violation of model code of conduct which is in force for general elections.
"Apart from this, toll free number 1950 is also functional to guide new voters on how to register with the Election Commission," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof