Can Chavan`s plea be heard post Adarsh chargesheet? asks HC
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday asked the counsel of Ashok Chavan if the petition filed by the former Maharashtra chief minister seeking quashing of FIR lodged by CBI in the Adarsh Housing Society scam can be heard now, since the chargesheet has been already filed in the case.
"If the CBI has already filed chargesheet in the case then what remains in this petition," a division bench of Justices AS Oka and AP Bhangale asked Chavan`s lawyer.
Chavan, who was named as an accused in the FIR filed by CBI in January 2011 under various charges of criminal conspiracy, cheating and Prevention of Corruption Act, had approached the High Court seeking to quash the FIR on the ground that the central agency does not have the jurisdiction to probe the alleged scam as neither the court nor the state government transferred the case to it.
However, the bench has posted the petition for hearing on March 15, after Chavan`s lawyer Birendra Saraf sought time.
Chavan and 12 others have been chargesheeted by CBI in the Adarsh scam with the Congress leader being accused of granting approvals to the upscale housing society here as a quid pro quo for allotment of three flats to his kin.
In his petition, the former minister reiterated the stand taken by the Maharashtra government and said CBI does not have jurisdiction to probe the matter as the state government has not given its consent.
"CBI in the present case has transgressed into the exclusive domain of the state and the state police," the petition states.
Seeking to quash and set aside the case, Chavan said he has been wrongly named in the FIR and that there is a political conspiracy to keep him out of public affairs.
He also sought the court to restrict CBI from initiating any action against him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged