Can eye donation be made mandatory, asks HC
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday asked the union government whether it is possible to make eye-donation mandatory whenever a body is sent for post mortem.
The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice RV More was hearing a public interest litigation filed by Sampat Shetty, which claims that only 14 percent of the donated corneas are actually utilised by the eye banks, the rest become useless.
Dr Jaswant Mehta, an intervener in the case, today told the court that under the `Central Transplantation of Human Organs Act`, whenever a body is sent for post-mortem (after accidental death, for instance), the cornea of the deceased
can be used for transplantation.
The bench then directed the union government to make a submission on this at the next hearing on March 2.
According to the PIL, cornea of a dead person (donor) is often recovered in haste, and necessary tests are not performed, which leads to they becoming useless.
The High Court had earlier suggested the Maharashtra government to set up a district-wise centralised database of available corneas.
Presently, a person seeking eye-transplant has to make application to individual eye banks. If the High Court`s suggestion is implemented, a single application would reach every eye-bank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you