Cargo seized outside Mumbai Central worth Rs 136 crore: I-T authorities
Mumbai: The Income Tax authorities on Thursday said they have completed the valuation of gems and jewellery found on Monday during a search operation outside Mumbai Central railway station here.
"Our valuation is complete and we have found that the jewellery was worth Rs 25 crore while diamond and other stones were valued at Rs 100 crore," IT sources said.
Four trucks carrying over 150 bags of cash and other valuables were seized by the investigating wing of Income Tax and National Investigation Agency on Monday night following a tip-off on fake currency.
Yesterday, the IT sources had said that value of cash seized was around Rs 11 crore and no fake currency was found during counting.
Sources said they are in the process of releasing jewellery and gems to jewellers after verification of documents.
"We will not be releasing the cash as of now as investigation regarding hawala is still on," they said.
Around 45 people, allegedly carrying bags on board of trucks, have been questioned by NIA in connection with the haul.
The occupants were supposed to board a train to Gujarat with the bags, sources had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!