Case registered over Maharashtra radio blast
Beed (Maharashtra): A first information report was registered Sunday against unidentified people in connection with an explosion in a transistor radio in Maharashtra`s Beed district.
The blast took place Friday in the house of a state government bus conductor in Kalegaon, 50 km from the district headquarters. Four people were injured.
The case was registered against unidentified people under Indian Penal Code Sections 336 (act endangering life or personal safety of others), 337 and 338 and the Explosives Act, a police official said.
Police are now awaiting the forensic report from an Aurangabad-based laboratory to ascertain the nature of material used in the explosion.
On Saturday, teams of the National Investigation Agency and Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad started a joint probe into the blast. The teams collected samples from the house of bus conductor Om Nimbalkar.
Nimbalkar, 35, his wife Usha, 25, son Kunal, 3, and mother Kusum, 55, were injured in the incident.
Nimbalkar picked up an unattended transistor in a Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation bus which had left from Nehru Nagar bus depot in Kurla in Mumbai early morning for a 475-km journey to Ambejogai in Beed.
The conductor discovered the transistor radio in the bus after the passengers had deboarded at Ambejogai.
Instead of handing it over to the authorities, he took it home. When he switched it on, it exploded.
Police have so far refrained from terming the blast as an act of terror.
Beed district has been in the news in recent months after the arrest of suspected terrorist Abu Jundal.
Jundal, who hails from Beed, is suspected to be a Lashkar-e-Taiba activist involved in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack and the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case, besides other cases in different parts of the country. He is lodged in Delhi`s Tihar Jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption