Cash transfer to start in five districts of Maharashtra
Pune: Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Saturday said here that Maharashtra will be implementing the Aadhar-based direct cash transfer project, aimed at reducing pilferage, in five districts starting next year.
"Five districts in the state -- among total of 51 from across the country -- will be implementing the project from next year," Chavan told reporters here on the sidelines of a banking event.
He claimed that the state was leader in the enrolment for Aadhar numbers, with 4 crore people registered so far. The administration will come up with innovative applications of Aadhar number, he said.
Earlier in the day, inaugurating the two-day annual banking conference ‘Bancon’, Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram had announced that government would launch the direct cash transfer programme in 51 districts from January 1.
Addressing the conference, Chavan said the Centre would next come up with "right to credit" as a part of its social sector agenda.
He also expressed confidence that the Centre will persist with reforms in spite of the difficulties it was facing in the Parliament.
He asked the bankers to work on innovative solutions like voice-based e-banking.
The Chief Minister also thanked nationalised banks, led by the leading banker from the state Bank of Maharashtra, for their aggressive lending to farmers in Maharashtra.
There was a 46 percent jump in farm credit by commercial banks over the last year which has helped pull the total contribution between cooperative banks and commercial banks to 50:50 level from the earlier 75:25, he noted.
He urged the banks to help local civic bodies raise money by selling bonds, and added that credit rating agencies, in which banks hold considerable stakes, can prove a big help and rate such issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues