CBI arrests businessman, MMTC official for irregularities
Hyderabad: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested two persons in connection with alleged irregularities in gold imports, a senior official on Friday said.
City-based MBS Jewellers` promoter Sukesh Gupta and a senior official of the Mineral and Metal Trading Corporation (MMTC) K Ravi Prasad were arrested for alleged irregularities in gold imports and default of payment, worth over Rs 200 crore totally, the senior CBI official said.
They were arrested after irregularities in gold imports during 2010-11 were detected, besides an alleged payment default by Sukesh Gupta to the state-owned MMTC.
"We will produce them in the court today," the official told PTI, adding that they had filed an FIR in the case last year, based on a complaint by the MMTC.
Cheques given by Sukesh Gupta to the MMTC had bounced due to paucity of funds in his account, the CBI official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Roy Hodgson quits as England boss after Iceland humiliation
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report