CBI arrests businessman, MMTC official for irregularities
Hyderabad: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested two persons in connection with alleged irregularities in gold imports, a senior official on Friday said.
City-based MBS Jewellers` promoter Sukesh Gupta and a senior official of the Mineral and Metal Trading Corporation (MMTC) K Ravi Prasad were arrested for alleged irregularities in gold imports and default of payment, worth over Rs 200 crore totally, the senior CBI official said.
They were arrested after irregularities in gold imports during 2010-11 were detected, besides an alleged payment default by Sukesh Gupta to the state-owned MMTC.
"We will produce them in the court today," the official told PTI, adding that they had filed an FIR in the case last year, based on a complaint by the MMTC.
Cheques given by Sukesh Gupta to the MMTC had bounced due to paucity of funds in his account, the CBI official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report