CBI arrests businessman, MMTC official for irregularities
Hyderabad: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested two persons in connection with alleged irregularities in gold imports, a senior official on Friday said.
City-based MBS Jewellers` promoter Sukesh Gupta and a senior official of the Mineral and Metal Trading Corporation (MMTC) K Ravi Prasad were arrested for alleged irregularities in gold imports and default of payment, worth over Rs 200 crore totally, the senior CBI official said.
They were arrested after irregularities in gold imports during 2010-11 were detected, besides an alleged payment default by Sukesh Gupta to the state-owned MMTC.
"We will produce them in the court today," the official told PTI, adding that they had filed an FIR in the case last year, based on a complaint by the MMTC.
Cheques given by Sukesh Gupta to the MMTC had bounced due to paucity of funds in his account, the CBI official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past