CBI arrests Joint Commissioner Income Tax in graft case
Mumbai: CBI on Thursday arrested a joint commissioner Income Tax posted at Thane for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 3.5 lakh from a businessman to bail him out in a tax evasion case.
CBI sources said Sanjeev Ghai, Joint Commissioner posted at Thane office of Income Tax was taken into custody after he was caught red-handed while accepting the bribe from the businessman.
The sources said Ghai had put the tax return of the businessman in the scrutiny raising doubts on the claims of losses incurred by him in the business.
Later, Ghai approached the businessman through a chartered accountant to settle his case and allegedly demanded Rs 10 lakh for the purpose.
During negotiations, the amount was brought down to Rs 3.5 lakh, they said.
After getting input about the deal, a team of CBI officers laid the trap at Ghai`s office and arrested him while he was allegedly accepting the bribe, the sources said.
Ghai would be produced before the special court for seeking custody, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi