CBI arrests Joint Commissioner Income Tax in graft case
Mumbai: CBI on Thursday arrested a joint commissioner Income Tax posted at Thane for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 3.5 lakh from a businessman to bail him out in a tax evasion case.
CBI sources said Sanjeev Ghai, Joint Commissioner posted at Thane office of Income Tax was taken into custody after he was caught red-handed while accepting the bribe from the businessman.
The sources said Ghai had put the tax return of the businessman in the scrutiny raising doubts on the claims of losses incurred by him in the business.
Later, Ghai approached the businessman through a chartered accountant to settle his case and allegedly demanded Rs 10 lakh for the purpose.
During negotiations, the amount was brought down to Rs 3.5 lakh, they said.
After getting input about the deal, a team of CBI officers laid the trap at Ghai`s office and arrested him while he was allegedly accepting the bribe, the sources said.
Ghai would be produced before the special court for seeking custody, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’