CBI arrests Mumbai Joint Commissioner of Customs
Mumbai: The CBI has arrested a Joint Commissioner of Customs department working at Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) here for allegedly amassing assets more than his known sources of income.
CBI officials claimed that Hemant Kothikar, an IRS officer of 1993 batch, had amassed assets to the tune of about Rs 3.66 crore in his name and in the names of his wife and relatives which were disproportionate to his known sources of income during the period between July 24, 2004 and September 6, 2010 when he was working in the Customs Department.
"Investigation into the case so far revealed that his wife, Proprietor of Nasik (Maharashtra)-based firm, has shown exaggerated income of about Rs 46 lakh from export by the firm in her Income Tax Return for financial year 2002-2003," CBI
spokesperson Harsh Bhal said.
"It is alleged that the exports of Nasik-based firm were not genuine. The alleged export was made by the firm to Australia through Singapore and Malaysia," he said, adding
that "Letters Rogatory w ere issued for further investigation in the said countries".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users