CBI arrests Mumbai Joint Commissioner of Customs
Mumbai: The CBI has arrested a Joint Commissioner of Customs department working at Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) here for allegedly amassing assets more than his known sources of income.
CBI officials claimed that Hemant Kothikar, an IRS officer of 1993 batch, had amassed assets to the tune of about Rs 3.66 crore in his name and in the names of his wife and relatives which were disproportionate to his known sources of income during the period between July 24, 2004 and September 6, 2010 when he was working in the Customs Department.
"Investigation into the case so far revealed that his wife, Proprietor of Nasik (Maharashtra)-based firm, has shown exaggerated income of about Rs 46 lakh from export by the firm in her Income Tax Return for financial year 2002-2003," CBI
spokesperson Harsh Bhal said.
"It is alleged that the exports of Nasik-based firm were not genuine. The alleged export was made by the firm to Australia through Singapore and Malaysia," he said, adding
that "Letters Rogatory w ere issued for further investigation in the said countries".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried