CBI arrests Mumbai Joint Commissioner of Customs
Mumbai: The CBI has arrested a Joint Commissioner of Customs department working at Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) here for allegedly amassing assets more than his known sources of income.
CBI officials claimed that Hemant Kothikar, an IRS officer of 1993 batch, had amassed assets to the tune of about Rs 3.66 crore in his name and in the names of his wife and relatives which were disproportionate to his known sources of income during the period between July 24, 2004 and September 6, 2010 when he was working in the Customs Department.
"Investigation into the case so far revealed that his wife, Proprietor of Nasik (Maharashtra)-based firm, has shown exaggerated income of about Rs 46 lakh from export by the firm in her Income Tax Return for financial year 2002-2003," CBI
spokesperson Harsh Bhal said.
"It is alleged that the exports of Nasik-based firm were not genuine. The alleged export was made by the firm to Australia through Singapore and Malaysia," he said, adding
that "Letters Rogatory w ere issued for further investigation in the said countries".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says