CBI arrests Mumbai Joint Commissioner of Customs
Mumbai: The CBI has arrested a Joint Commissioner of Customs department working at Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) here for allegedly amassing assets more than his known sources of income.
CBI officials claimed that Hemant Kothikar, an IRS officer of 1993 batch, had amassed assets to the tune of about Rs 3.66 crore in his name and in the names of his wife and relatives which were disproportionate to his known sources of income during the period between July 24, 2004 and September 6, 2010 when he was working in the Customs Department.
"Investigation into the case so far revealed that his wife, Proprietor of Nasik (Maharashtra)-based firm, has shown exaggerated income of about Rs 46 lakh from export by the firm in her Income Tax Return for financial year 2002-2003," CBI
spokesperson Harsh Bhal said.
"It is alleged that the exports of Nasik-based firm were not genuine. The alleged export was made by the firm to Australia through Singapore and Malaysia," he said, adding
that "Letters Rogatory w ere issued for further investigation in the said countries".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!