CBI chargesheet in Adarsh scam likely on July 03
Mumbai: The CBI is likely to file its first chargesheet in the Adarsh Housing scam on July 03 against some of the members of the upscale society, 18 months after a case was registered in this connection.
The scam had fuelled a political storm in Maharashtra that led to the resignation of Ashok Chavan as Chief Minister. Chavan is among the 14 accused in the case in which Union Ministers Vilasrao Deshmukh and Sushilkumar Shinde are also under the scanner.
According to official sources, a chargesheet would be filed tomorrow, a day before the case comes up before Bombay High Court which is hearing a bunch of public interest litigations seeking the court`s supervision of the probe.
The CBI on June 18 had assured the High Court that it would file a chargesheet in the case before July 4 as the agency had to take prior sanction from the government to prosecute bureaucrats.
It was expected that the first chargesheet may not name any bureaucrat or public servant as the High Court had suggested to the CBI that it could first file chargesheet against those accused for whom sanction was not required.
"At least file the chargesheet. You (CBI) can procure sanction later for the bureaucrats," a division bench of Justices S A Bobade and Mridula Bhatkar had said on the last date of hearing.
The CBI has registered a case on January 29 last year against Chavan and 13 others which included bureaucrats and retired army personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security