CBI files charge sheet in fake railway bond scam
Mumbai: The CBI on Monday informed the Bombay High Court that it had filed charge sheet in a court against 13 accused for their alleged involvement in fake bond scam at suburban Kurla railway station.
Additional Solicitor General Kevic Setalvad, appearing for CBI, told the court that for the rest of the accused, they had moved the competent authority seeking sanction to prosecute them for their role in the scam.
The agency, after getting sanctions, will file supplementary charge sheets, he said.
Accordingly, Justices A M Khanwilkar and K K Tated adjourned the matter to March 18.
The court was hearing a public interest litigation filed by social activist Samir Zaveri, alleging that certain RPF personnel were releasing persons booked for trespassing and crossing railway tracks on fake cash bail bonds.
In his PIL, Zaveri had alleged a head constable acted as a magistrate and granted bail to the alleged offenders and the money collected was misappropriated by the RPF personnel themselves.
The investigating agencies have sufficient evidence against the accused, the court was informed.
In August 2011, the High Court had transferred investigation in the case to CBI following allegations of shoddy probe by the Government Railway Police (GRP).
CBI, on several occasions, was pulled up by the High Court for its slow probe. In July 2012, the court had directed the central agency to complete its investigation within a month. Later, it sought six weeks` time to complete the probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter