CBI opposes Ashok Chavan`s petition in Adarsh case
Mumbai: CBI on Monday opposed the petition filed by former Chief Minister of Maharashtra Ashok Chavan seeking to quash the case registered against him in the Adarsh Society scam.
Chavan has sought quashing of FIR lodged against him by CBI, arguing that he was falsely implicated by political rivals.
Petition also claims that CBI has no jurisdiction to probe the case, as neither the High Court nor the Maharashtra government had asked it to take over the probe.
At the last hearing, HC had sought replies from both the state and the CBI.
CBI said in its reply-affidavit today that Chavan, as the Chief Minister, granted `undue favours` to the Society, in return for which his relatives were allotted three flats.
Chavan also asked the Society to take 40 per cent members from civilian category, when it was originally meant only for war veterans, CBI alleged, adding that Chavan played a key role in the scam.
As to the jurisdiction, it said Defence Ministry had forwarded a complaint to it, which led to probe.
But Maharashtra government, in its affidavit, reiterated its stand that CBI had no jurisdiction to probe the scam.
The division bench of Justices PV Hardas and AR Joshi today sought copies of all the orders passed by other benches in the case, and affidavits filed by parties. Next hearing will be on April 12.
Chavan`s mother-in-law Bhagvati Sharma, sister-in-law Seema Sharma and father-in-law`s brother Madanlal Sharma have flats in the society.
CBI has filed chargesheet against the former Chief Minister and 12 others for criminal conspiracy, cheating and criminal misconduct under Indian Penal Code and also under Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?