CBI probe in housing scam will harm morale of services: Jaswant
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh today opposed a CBI investigation into the housing society scam in Mumbai, in which some of the topmost Army officials are embroiled, saying it would be detrimental to the morale of services and stuck to the demand of a JPC probe.
"I am personally, totally and absolutely and
equivocally opposed to senior services officers of the ranks
of Chiefs of staff being investigated by CBI. I take objection
to the Defence Minister having said that army officers of very
high ranks be investigated by CBI. This is detrimental to the
standing and morale of services," Singh told reporters in
Parliament House premises.
Singh, who had served in the Army before joining
politics, said there were laid down mechanisms for dealing
with matters involving defence personnel.
"There are mechanisms within services that adequately
take care of all these things. And whatever is not taken care
of can be investigated by a Joint Parliamentary Committee
(JPC)," Singh said.
He maintained that anomalies in Commonwealth Games
projects, Adarsh Housing Society and 2-G Spectrum allocation
"all come together".
"I think it is really important that investigation
into these is not entrusted to CBI which itself most
dysfunctional and discredited," he said.
The former union minister insisted that sacking Ashok
Chavan as Maharashtra Chief Minister was not enough.
"I don`t think sacking a chief minister as an internal
administration matter is a solution to the problem. The
problem is with enormity of corruption and enormity cannot be
quantified. Therefore it is necessary that Parliament is
seized of it. It is not that earlier governments have not done
it," Singh said.
He claimed that arguments about not forming a JPC to
probe the 2-G Spectrum case as it was pending in the Supreme
Court were not strong as there is a precedence for such
"JPCs have been formed earlier also (in cases which
were in SC). I have been a member of such committees," Singh
Asked about reports alleging that some associates of
BJP President Nitin Gadkari were beneficiaries in Adarsh scam,
Singh said, "Let it be investigated."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof