Censor Board member held for stealing colleague`s jewellery
Mumbai: A 45-year-old woman member of the Central Board of Film Certification (Censor Board) has been arrested for allegedly stealing diamond jewellery worth Rs 5.25 lakh from her colleague`s purse during a film screening at a theatre here, police said on Saturday.
According to police, two diamond rings and a necklace belonging to Kiran Srivastava, were stolen from her purse on March 4 by her colleague Meenakshi Singh in the mini theatre at Eros cinema located near Churchgate station, during the screening of a Bhojpuri film.
After the film screening, Srivastava found that her jewellery had gone missing from the purse. She, along with Meenakshi and three other members of the Censor Board and the theatre staff searched for the valuables on the premises, but in vain.
The victim thought she might not have carried the valuables with her and kept them at home. However, when she checked at her place in Colaba area, the valuables were not found there either.
Following this, she rushed to the Marine Drive police station, where an FIR was registered.
"During the probe, members and staff of the Censor Board were questioned. After going through the CCTV footages, Meenakshi`s movements (in the theatre) were found to be suspicious. Upon thorough questioning, Meenakshi confessed to the crime," a police officer said.
The jewellery was recovered from the residence of the accused, who was later granted bail, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter