Censor Board member held for stealing colleague`s jewellery
Mumbai: A 45-year-old woman member of the Central Board of Film Certification (Censor Board) has been arrested for allegedly stealing diamond jewellery worth Rs 5.25 lakh from her colleague`s purse during a film screening at a theatre here, police said on Saturday.
According to police, two diamond rings and a necklace belonging to Kiran Srivastava, were stolen from her purse on March 4 by her colleague Meenakshi Singh in the mini theatre at Eros cinema located near Churchgate station, during the screening of a Bhojpuri film.
After the film screening, Srivastava found that her jewellery had gone missing from the purse. She, along with Meenakshi and three other members of the Censor Board and the theatre staff searched for the valuables on the premises, but in vain.
The victim thought she might not have carried the valuables with her and kept them at home. However, when she checked at her place in Colaba area, the valuables were not found there either.
Following this, she rushed to the Marine Drive police station, where an FIR was registered.
"During the probe, members and staff of the Censor Board were questioned. After going through the CCTV footages, Meenakshi`s movements (in the theatre) were found to be suspicious. Upon thorough questioning, Meenakshi confessed to the crime," a police officer said.
The jewellery was recovered from the residence of the accused, who was later granted bail, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video