Censor Board member held for stealing colleague`s jewellery
Mumbai: A 45-year-old woman member of the Central Board of Film Certification (Censor Board) has been arrested for allegedly stealing diamond jewellery worth Rs 5.25 lakh from her colleague`s purse during a film screening at a theatre here, police said on Saturday.
According to police, two diamond rings and a necklace belonging to Kiran Srivastava, were stolen from her purse on March 4 by her colleague Meenakshi Singh in the mini theatre at Eros cinema located near Churchgate station, during the screening of a Bhojpuri film.
After the film screening, Srivastava found that her jewellery had gone missing from the purse. She, along with Meenakshi and three other members of the Censor Board and the theatre staff searched for the valuables on the premises, but in vain.
The victim thought she might not have carried the valuables with her and kept them at home. However, when she checked at her place in Colaba area, the valuables were not found there either.
Following this, she rushed to the Marine Drive police station, where an FIR was registered.
"During the probe, members and staff of the Censor Board were questioned. After going through the CCTV footages, Meenakshi`s movements (in the theatre) were found to be suspicious. Upon thorough questioning, Meenakshi confessed to the crime," a police officer said.
The jewellery was recovered from the residence of the accused, who was later granted bail, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers