Census programme to begin from today
Mumbai: Come May 1 its not just Indians who would be covered in the Census programme but also foreign nationals who have been living in the city since past six
months or more would be issued a Unique Identification Card (UIC) but it would not confer citizenship.
As Census 2010 begins today, with 31,797 enumerators Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) will start door-to-door process of data collection of 28,906
house blocks in the city (one house block consists of 150 houses) which will go on till June 15.
"All those living in Mumbai including people from various parts of the country and even foreigners for more than six months will be part of the Census programme. All will be
issued UIC even foreigners will get it but there card will be different," Municipal Commissioner Swadheen Kshatriya told reporters here.
The first phase of the 15th National Census will begin in the financial capital of India, with the house listing and housing census.
"But it must be noted that this card will not confer citizenship. It is important to know details about foreigners like how long they are staying in the city and why, so a card
will be given to them as well," Kshatriya said.
The civic administration has assured that data collected under census process would be kept confidential and information cannot be revealed even if a Right To Information
plea is made.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof