Census programme to begin from today
Mumbai: Come May 1 its not just Indians who would be covered in the Census programme but also foreign nationals who have been living in the city since past six
months or more would be issued a Unique Identification Card (UIC) but it would not confer citizenship.
As Census 2010 begins today, with 31,797 enumerators Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) will start door-to-door process of data collection of 28,906
house blocks in the city (one house block consists of 150 houses) which will go on till June 15.
"All those living in Mumbai including people from various parts of the country and even foreigners for more than six months will be part of the Census programme. All will be
issued UIC even foreigners will get it but there card will be different," Municipal Commissioner Swadheen Kshatriya told reporters here.
The first phase of the 15th National Census will begin in the financial capital of India, with the house listing and housing census.
"But it must be noted that this card will not confer citizenship. It is important to know details about foreigners like how long they are staying in the city and why, so a card
will be given to them as well," Kshatriya said.
The civic administration has assured that data collected under census process would be kept confidential and information cannot be revealed even if a Right To Information
plea is made.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed