Centre provides additional forces to Maharashtra
New Delhi: The Home Ministry has provided additional security forces to Maharashtra to assist local administration in maintaining law and order in the wake of critical health condition of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
Paramilitary personnel have been provided following a request by the Maharashtra government which has beefed up security after Shiv Sainiks damaged some media vehicles and equipment yesterday, official sources said.
The forces, which were in Maharashtra and supposed to proceed to Gujarat for deployment in next month`s Assembly election, have been asked to stay back to help the Maharashtra government.
The Home Ministry is closely monitoring the law and order situation. Union Home Secretary RK Singh called up Maharashtra Chief Secretary Jayant Kumar Banthia and assured him of all Central assistance.
Large contingents of Mumbai police and Rapid Action Force have been stationed in Mumbai. The area where Thackeray`s residence is located has been heavily barricaded.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has been continuously monitoring law and order situation in the state in view of Thackeray`s condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah