Centre provides additional forces to Maharashtra
New Delhi: The Home Ministry has provided additional security forces to Maharashtra to assist local administration in maintaining law and order in the wake of critical health condition of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
Paramilitary personnel have been provided following a request by the Maharashtra government which has beefed up security after Shiv Sainiks damaged some media vehicles and equipment yesterday, official sources said.
The forces, which were in Maharashtra and supposed to proceed to Gujarat for deployment in next month`s Assembly election, have been asked to stay back to help the Maharashtra government.
The Home Ministry is closely monitoring the law and order situation. Union Home Secretary RK Singh called up Maharashtra Chief Secretary Jayant Kumar Banthia and assured him of all Central assistance.
Large contingents of Mumbai police and Rapid Action Force have been stationed in Mumbai. The area where Thackeray`s residence is located has been heavily barricaded.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has been continuously monitoring law and order situation in the state in view of Thackeray`s condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!