Centre seeks report on Bhandara rape, murder of 3 minors
New Delhi: In the wake of outrage over the alleged rape and murder of three minor girls in Maharashtra, the Centre on Thursday sought from the state government all details of the gruesome incident.
"We have asked the Maharashtra government to send a report about the unfortunate incident," Minister of State for Home R P N Singh told reporters here.
The Home Ministry has asked the Maharashtra DGP to send the report on the incident in Bhandara district where bodies of the girls, all below 11 years and missing since February 14, were found in a well in their native village on February 16.
"Policing is a state subject. But our government is committed to safety of women," Singh said.
Though police initially registered a case of accidental death, postmortem conducted yesterday at Bhandara confirmed sexual abuse and murder, police said.
The incident came just two months after the brutal gang-rape of a girl in Delhi which led to massive protests across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch