Centre seeks report on Bhandara rape, murder of 3 minors
New Delhi: In the wake of outrage over the alleged rape and murder of three minor girls in Maharashtra, the Centre on Thursday sought from the state government all details of the gruesome incident.
"We have asked the Maharashtra government to send a report about the unfortunate incident," Minister of State for Home R P N Singh told reporters here.
The Home Ministry has asked the Maharashtra DGP to send the report on the incident in Bhandara district where bodies of the girls, all below 11 years and missing since February 14, were found in a well in their native village on February 16.
"Policing is a state subject. But our government is committed to safety of women," Singh said.
Though police initially registered a case of accidental death, postmortem conducted yesterday at Bhandara confirmed sexual abuse and murder, police said.
The incident came just two months after the brutal gang-rape of a girl in Delhi which led to massive protests across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit consequence: British thaali may give Indian lady's finger a miss
- Ajay Devgn to star in Rohit Shetty's 'Golmaal 4'! Details inside
- WATCH: Harbhajan Singh was up against a wrestler...See What Happened Next...
- After NSG setback, India joins Missile Technology Control Regime as full member; China awaits membership
- Hrithik Roshan – Kangana Ranaut legal tussle: Everything will come out soon, says actor