Centre seeks report on Bhandara rape, murder of 3 minors
New Delhi: In the wake of outrage over the alleged rape and murder of three minor girls in Maharashtra, the Centre on Thursday sought from the state government all details of the gruesome incident.
"We have asked the Maharashtra government to send a report about the unfortunate incident," Minister of State for Home R P N Singh told reporters here.
The Home Ministry has asked the Maharashtra DGP to send the report on the incident in Bhandara district where bodies of the girls, all below 11 years and missing since February 14, were found in a well in their native village on February 16.
"Policing is a state subject. But our government is committed to safety of women," Singh said.
Though police initially registered a case of accidental death, postmortem conducted yesterday at Bhandara confirmed sexual abuse and murder, police said.
The incident came just two months after the brutal gang-rape of a girl in Delhi which led to massive protests across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days