Centre seeks report on Bhandara rape, murder of 3 minors
New Delhi: In the wake of outrage over the alleged rape and murder of three minor girls in Maharashtra, the Centre on Thursday sought from the state government all details of the gruesome incident.
"We have asked the Maharashtra government to send a report about the unfortunate incident," Minister of State for Home R P N Singh told reporters here.
The Home Ministry has asked the Maharashtra DGP to send the report on the incident in Bhandara district where bodies of the girls, all below 11 years and missing since February 14, were found in a well in their native village on February 16.
"Policing is a state subject. But our government is committed to safety of women," Singh said.
Though police initially registered a case of accidental death, postmortem conducted yesterday at Bhandara confirmed sexual abuse and murder, police said.
The incident came just two months after the brutal gang-rape of a girl in Delhi which led to massive protests across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing