Centre to announce relief package for rain-hit MP, Maharashtra
New Delhi: The Centre is expected to announce on March 19 a package for Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra where extensive damage has been caused to crops by the unseasonal rain and hailstorm recently.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today talked to Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar over the issue, sources said.
Pawar told Singh that teams have been sent to the affected areas to assess the damage and they would submit reports by March 16, the sources said.
On the basis of their report, a relief package would be announced on March 19, the Agriculture Minister told Singh. The quantum of the package would be based on the assessment made by the teams.
The rain and hailstorm have destroyed large tracts of crops in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
Chief Ministers of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh have written to the Centre, seeking relief packages.
Even though the Election Model Code of Conduct is in place, officials said the announcement of relief package would not be affected by it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues