Centre to announce relief package for rain-hit MP, Maharashtra
New Delhi: The Centre is expected to announce on March 19 a package for Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra where extensive damage has been caused to crops by the unseasonal rain and hailstorm recently.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today talked to Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar over the issue, sources said.
Pawar told Singh that teams have been sent to the affected areas to assess the damage and they would submit reports by March 16, the sources said.
On the basis of their report, a relief package would be announced on March 19, the Agriculture Minister told Singh. The quantum of the package would be based on the assessment made by the teams.
The rain and hailstorm have destroyed large tracts of crops in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
Chief Ministers of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh have written to the Centre, seeking relief packages.
Even though the Election Model Code of Conduct is in place, officials said the announcement of relief package would not be affected by it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends