Centre to announce relief package for rain-hit MP, Maharashtra
New Delhi: The Centre is expected to announce on March 19 a package for Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra where extensive damage has been caused to crops by the unseasonal rain and hailstorm recently.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today talked to Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar over the issue, sources said.
Pawar told Singh that teams have been sent to the affected areas to assess the damage and they would submit reports by March 16, the sources said.
On the basis of their report, a relief package would be announced on March 19, the Agriculture Minister told Singh. The quantum of the package would be based on the assessment made by the teams.
The rain and hailstorm have destroyed large tracts of crops in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
Chief Ministers of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh have written to the Centre, seeking relief packages.
Even though the Election Model Code of Conduct is in place, officials said the announcement of relief package would not be affected by it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000