Chain-snatching emerges as a major crime in Thane
Thane: Rising cases of chain snatching and burglaries are posing a major challenge to Thane Police.
"Crime detection was satisfactory last year, but police are still concerned about offences like chain snatching and thefts," Police Commissioner Kris Pal Raghuvanshi said after the crime annual review meeting here last evening.
During the meeting, a report released on statistics compiled from across the city showed there were 547 cases of chain snatching registered in 2012, of which only 268 were detected. The number was marginally higher than in 2011, when 543 cases were registered, and 232 were detected.
Elaborating on the growing menace, he said, "Earlier, there used to be inter-city gangs, where the accused would stay in one city and operate in another. Now, we are seeing the emergence of inter-state gangs, where the accused travels to another state, commits the crime and then returns. This poses a challenge of detection."
Raghuvanshi said the second challenge was burglaries. There were 254 day-time and 849 night-time burglaries registered last year.
Crimes against women went up from 734 in 2011 to 849 in 2012 where majority of them were cases of harassment.
On crimes like molestation and eve-teasing, he said, "Many of these cases don`t get registered because they are not reported. Cases need to be registered with us so that we can act on them. We have also set up a women`s cell in every police station and deployed personnel, uniformed as well as in plain clothes, at crowded places such as bus stops and market places," Raghuvanshi added.
Other crimes witnessed only a minor change in statistics as compared to 2011. While there were 127 murders registered in 2011, the city witnessed 110 such cases in 2012. Rape cases rose from 79 in 2011 to 106 in 2012, he said.
As regards booking chain-snatchers under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), the police official said they were still analysing its modalities as there were certain hurdles in the process.
For Thane Police Commissionerate, which covers a population of nearly 70 lakh, policing is a marathon task, he said and asked people not to keep crime "under the carpet."
Victims should immediately bring crime to the notice of either their parents, teachers or police, he urged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India