Chain-snatching emerges as a major crime in Thane
Thane: Rising cases of chain snatching and burglaries are posing a major challenge to Thane Police.
"Crime detection was satisfactory last year, but police are still concerned about offences like chain snatching and thefts," Police Commissioner Kris Pal Raghuvanshi said after the crime annual review meeting here last evening.
During the meeting, a report released on statistics compiled from across the city showed there were 547 cases of chain snatching registered in 2012, of which only 268 were detected. The number was marginally higher than in 2011, when 543 cases were registered, and 232 were detected.
Elaborating on the growing menace, he said, "Earlier, there used to be inter-city gangs, where the accused would stay in one city and operate in another. Now, we are seeing the emergence of inter-state gangs, where the accused travels to another state, commits the crime and then returns. This poses a challenge of detection."
Raghuvanshi said the second challenge was burglaries. There were 254 day-time and 849 night-time burglaries registered last year.
Crimes against women went up from 734 in 2011 to 849 in 2012 where majority of them were cases of harassment.
On crimes like molestation and eve-teasing, he said, "Many of these cases don`t get registered because they are not reported. Cases need to be registered with us so that we can act on them. We have also set up a women`s cell in every police station and deployed personnel, uniformed as well as in plain clothes, at crowded places such as bus stops and market places," Raghuvanshi added.
Other crimes witnessed only a minor change in statistics as compared to 2011. While there were 127 murders registered in 2011, the city witnessed 110 such cases in 2012. Rape cases rose from 79 in 2011 to 106 in 2012, he said.
As regards booking chain-snatchers under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), the police official said they were still analysing its modalities as there were certain hurdles in the process.
For Thane Police Commissionerate, which covers a population of nearly 70 lakh, policing is a marathon task, he said and asked people not to keep crime "under the carpet."
Victims should immediately bring crime to the notice of either their parents, teachers or police, he urged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?