Chandrapur Mayor, Seven others suspended for anti-party activities
Nagpur: Chandrapur Mayor and the president of Ballarpur Municipal Council along with six others were suspended by the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) for allegedly indulging in anti-party activities against the party nominee and state minister Sanjay Deotale.
Those placed under suspension are Sangita Amrutkar, the Mayor, Rajni Mulchandani, president of Ballarpur Municipal Council besides six local leaders, party sources said today.
They had allegedly campaigned against the Cultural Affairs Minister Deotale, they said, adding that those suspended belonged to the camp of former MP Naresh Puglia group.
The MPCC has also cracked a whip on Chandrapur city unit president Gajanan Gawande, Chandrapur municipal corporation standing committee chairman Ramu Tiwari, corporators Ashok Nagapure, Pravin Padwekar and Usha Dhande, besides Ballarpur tehsil Congress president Ghansham Mulchandani, sources added.
The move has sent shockwaves in the Chandrapur district Congress unit.
The MPCC action is the fallout of a bitter factional feud between Deotale and Pugalia, sources said, adding that Deotale had complained against Pugalia for working against him.
The election for the constituency, which falls in Vidarbha region, was held on April 10.
Deotale is pitted against sitting BJP MP Hansraj Ahir and AAP nominee Wamanrao Chatap.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had campaigned for Deotale.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US