Chargesheet in Mumbai gang-rape case within seven days: RR Patil
Mumbai: The Mumbai police will file the charge sheet in the 23-year-old photojournalist’s gang rape case within seven days. This announcement was made by state home minister RR Patil on Tuesday.
“The crime branch probing the case will file the charge sheet in a week. There is no need to delay the case. We will make the case very strong,” Patil said.
The charge sheet will have the details of the victim’s ordeal, statements of the witnesses, evidence collected from the spot, DNA analysis reports, phone-call records and identification parade information, among others.
The police claimed that they have more than sufficient evidence against the five accused – Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav, Mohammed Kasim Hafiz Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali, Siraj Rehman Khan and a minor.
“We will file the charge sheet very soon with whatever evidence we have gathered so far. If we come across some more evidence at a later stage, we will file a supplementary charge sheet,” a crime branch official said.
The 23-year-old photojournalist was gang-raped by the five on August 22 evening when she had gone to the Shakti Mills compound with a male colleague on an assignment.
The police have recently received a forensic report confirming that DNA samples found on the victim matched with those of the suspects. The police had also recovered five mobile phones, possessed by the accused at the time of the crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS