Chargesheet in Mumbai gang-rape case within seven days: RR Patil
Mumbai: The Mumbai police will file the charge sheet in the 23-year-old photojournalist’s gang rape case within seven days. This announcement was made by state home minister RR Patil on Tuesday.
“The crime branch probing the case will file the charge sheet in a week. There is no need to delay the case. We will make the case very strong,” Patil said.
The charge sheet will have the details of the victim’s ordeal, statements of the witnesses, evidence collected from the spot, DNA analysis reports, phone-call records and identification parade information, among others.
The police claimed that they have more than sufficient evidence against the five accused – Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav, Mohammed Kasim Hafiz Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali, Siraj Rehman Khan and a minor.
“We will file the charge sheet very soon with whatever evidence we have gathered so far. If we come across some more evidence at a later stage, we will file a supplementary charge sheet,” a crime branch official said.
The 23-year-old photojournalist was gang-raped by the five on August 22 evening when she had gone to the Shakti Mills compound with a male colleague on an assignment.
The police have recently received a forensic report confirming that DNA samples found on the victim matched with those of the suspects. The police had also recovered five mobile phones, possessed by the accused at the time of the crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter