Chargesheet in Mumbai gang-rape case within seven days: RR Patil
Mumbai: The Mumbai police will file the charge sheet in the 23-year-old photojournalist’s gang rape case within seven days. This announcement was made by state home minister RR Patil on Tuesday.
“The crime branch probing the case will file the charge sheet in a week. There is no need to delay the case. We will make the case very strong,” Patil said.
The charge sheet will have the details of the victim’s ordeal, statements of the witnesses, evidence collected from the spot, DNA analysis reports, phone-call records and identification parade information, among others.
The police claimed that they have more than sufficient evidence against the five accused – Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav, Mohammed Kasim Hafiz Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali, Siraj Rehman Khan and a minor.
“We will file the charge sheet very soon with whatever evidence we have gathered so far. If we come across some more evidence at a later stage, we will file a supplementary charge sheet,” a crime branch official said.
The 23-year-old photojournalist was gang-raped by the five on August 22 evening when she had gone to the Shakti Mills compound with a male colleague on an assignment.
The police have recently received a forensic report confirming that DNA samples found on the victim matched with those of the suspects. The police had also recovered five mobile phones, possessed by the accused at the time of the crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months