Charu Deshpande suicide: Statements of company officials recorded
Mumbai: A team of Mumbai crime branch, probing the alleged suicide of Tata Steel`s former head of corporate communications, today recorded the statements of the company`s officials in Jamshedpur, a police official said.
Charudatta Deshpande, Tata Steel`s 57-year-old former chief of Corporate Communications, was found hanging at his Vasai home on June 28. No suicide note was found.
His friends and former colleagues alleged he had been harassed and kept under "house arrest" in Jamshedpur.
A case has been registered at Vasai police station which is probing the matter. The police station comes under neighbouring Thane rural area.
After Home Minister RR Patil`s order, Mumbai police crime branch, which usually probes serious offences including underworld cases, began a parallel investigation into the case.
Joint Police Commissioner Himanshu Roy said "a crime branch team had left for Jamshedpur on Sunday along with personnel from the Thane rural police."
The team began recording the statement of the TATA steel officials today, Roy said.
Asked if any breakthrough has been achieved in the case, Roy replied "our probe is in the right direction."
There were allegations that Deshpande committed suicide following harassment by the employees of Tata Steel where he had worked, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?