Chavan asks Centre to grant green nod to Lavasa
New Delhi: Terming Lavasa project as important
to Maharashtra, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Friday asked
the Centre to give the green nod to the first phase of the
proposed Hill City.
"I have requested to the Union Environment Minister
Jayanthi Natarajan to grant environment clearance to Lavasa
Phase-I if all the pre-conditions set by the ministry have
been fulfilled," he told reporters here.
Chavan`s request comes on a day when the Maharashtra
government filed a criminal case against Lavasa Corporation,
the promoters of Lavasa Hill City in the district for alleged
violations of the Environment Protection Act (EPA), fulfilling
the fifth and final pre-condition of the Environment Ministry
for granting clearance to the first phase of the hill city.
One of the pre-conditions was taking credible action
against Lavasa for alleged violation of the Environment
Protection Act in the hill city project.
The action by the state government was initiated
following directions from the Bombay High Court.
Chavan said the hill city project was important as it
involved huge investments in the state.
"People have not taken environment laws seriously which
has led to cases like Adarsh and Lavasa.... Nobody is bigger
than the law," he said.
Chavan also had meetings with Agriculture Minister Sharad
Pawar and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee during which
various issues related to the state came up for discussion.
He dismissed suggestions that the state government had
softened its stand on the project.
"There is no change of approach. What are you talking
about," Chavan told a questioner.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani