Chavan asks PM for national fund for drought relief
New Delhi: Creation of a drought mitigation fund was today proposed by Maharashtra which is battling one of the severest droughts in recent years.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said the idea was suggested by the state during a meeting he had with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar and Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia were also present at the meeting.
Chavan said the Planning Commission would hold talks with state government officials in the next few days.
The meeting with the Prime Minister came a day after Chavan and several of his cabinet colleagues met the Empowered Group of Ministers on drought chaired by Pawar.
The state government has sought central assistance to the tune of Rs 3,572 crore for tackling the drought in 123 talukas.
Chavan said a fund like the National Drought Mitigation Fund would help states like Maharashtra to tackle the drought situation more effectively.
He said the state government would also ask other states to press the Centre to create the fund.
The state government has also sought Rs 2,270 crore
for 105 small irrigation projects in drought-prone Vidarbha region and other surrounding areas.
Timely release of funds would ensure these projects would be operational by next year, officials said.
Chavan also met Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister S Jaipal Reddy and requested him to make available gas for the Dabhol Power project.
He said that due to inadequate availability of gas, the power station was generating only 600 MW electricity as against the installed capacity of 2,100 MW.
Stressing on urgency to supply gas, the Chief Minister said two hydel power projects had to be shut down due to deficient monsoon.
Chavan also dismissed criticism over the transfer of Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik in the aftermath of the August 11 violence at Azad Maidan in Mumbai.
He said the decision to transfer Patnaik was taken earlier and was only being implemented now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in