Chavan declines to comment on ‘Adarsh’ babus
Mumbai: Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday declined to comment on reports that former bureaucrats Ramanand Tiwari and Subhash Lala had refused to step down when asked by the state government for their alleged involvement in the Adarsh Housing scam.
"The Chief Secretary J P Dange was asked to meet them to elicit certain information. I will not comment on that," Chavan told reporters after the cabinet meeting.
To a question on his reported statement in a local daily that the two were asked to resign on moral grounds and the government will start the legal process of their removal if they fail to quit, Chavan said, "Maybe I was wrongly quoted.
I have never said such a thing."
Tiwari, currently the State Information Commissioner, was the state urban development secretary while Lala, who is presently State Human Rights Commission member, was secretary in the Chief Minister`s office when the Adarsh housing society file was being processed in Mantralaya.
Families of both the former bureaucrats own flats in the controversial society situated in the posh Colaba area.
When asked who will head the probe committee into the Adarsh scam which he had announced in Nagpur, Chavan said the government will shortly take a decision in this regard.
To a question on the controversy over removal of a statue of Dadoji Konddev, considered guru of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj from Lal Mahal in Pune, Chavan said the decision was taken by the Pune Municipal Corporation. "I am seeking information into the issue," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Honorary Fellowship awarded to Sri Sri Ravi Shankar in UK
- MSc-PhD in chemical, molecular biology to be offered by IIT-Kharagpur, IACS
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley cuts short China visit
- Pratyusha Banerjee’s boyfriend Rahul Raj Singh has moved on already! Here's proof
- Last rites of martyred CRPF inspector performed in Thiruvananthapuram