Chavan declines to comment on ‘Adarsh’ babus
Mumbai: Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday declined to comment on reports that former bureaucrats Ramanand Tiwari and Subhash Lala had refused to step down when asked by the state government for their alleged involvement in the Adarsh Housing scam.
"The Chief Secretary J P Dange was asked to meet them to elicit certain information. I will not comment on that," Chavan told reporters after the cabinet meeting.
To a question on his reported statement in a local daily that the two were asked to resign on moral grounds and the government will start the legal process of their removal if they fail to quit, Chavan said, "Maybe I was wrongly quoted.
I have never said such a thing."
Tiwari, currently the State Information Commissioner, was the state urban development secretary while Lala, who is presently State Human Rights Commission member, was secretary in the Chief Minister`s office when the Adarsh housing society file was being processed in Mantralaya.
Families of both the former bureaucrats own flats in the controversial society situated in the posh Colaba area.
When asked who will head the probe committee into the Adarsh scam which he had announced in Nagpur, Chavan said the government will shortly take a decision in this regard.
To a question on the controversy over removal of a statue of Dadoji Konddev, considered guru of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj from Lal Mahal in Pune, Chavan said the decision was taken by the Pune Municipal Corporation. "I am seeking information into the issue," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears