Chavan demands 25 special fast track courts to tackle rape cases
Mumbai: Voicing concern over the pendency of rape cases, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday met the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court Mohit Shah, demanding setting up of 25 special fast track courts.
"I met the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court and asked for 25 special fast track courts (to deal with rape cases). There are some 26 vacancies (of judges) that have to be filled," Chavan told reporters here.
The chief minister said he would meet Shah again next week. "We will meet him next week with a proper agenda," he said.
Rubbishing the demand made by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on chemical castration of the rape accused, Chavan said, "It is a quite a silly demand...While quick punishment is important, initiating such a stricter punishment is a different issue".
On growing demand for capital punishment to perpetrators of rape, Chavan said one has to explore practical implications of such demand.
"Theoretically, you say about hanging (death penalty) but what if it takes 20 years to decide," he said.
Expressing concern over higher pendency of rape cases, he said, "Let Parliament decide what should be the amendments done to the Indian Penal Code (IPC)".
Chavan admitted that pendency of rape cases is "unacceptably high" in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what