Chavan demands 25 special fast track courts to tackle rape cases
Mumbai: Voicing concern over the pendency of rape cases, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday met the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court Mohit Shah, demanding setting up of 25 special fast track courts.
"I met the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court and asked for 25 special fast track courts (to deal with rape cases). There are some 26 vacancies (of judges) that have to be filled," Chavan told reporters here.
The chief minister said he would meet Shah again next week. "We will meet him next week with a proper agenda," he said.
Rubbishing the demand made by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on chemical castration of the rape accused, Chavan said, "It is a quite a silly demand...While quick punishment is important, initiating such a stricter punishment is a different issue".
On growing demand for capital punishment to perpetrators of rape, Chavan said one has to explore practical implications of such demand.
"Theoretically, you say about hanging (death penalty) but what if it takes 20 years to decide," he said.
Expressing concern over higher pendency of rape cases, he said, "Let Parliament decide what should be the amendments done to the Indian Penal Code (IPC)".
Chavan admitted that pendency of rape cases is "unacceptably high" in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price