Chavan disapproves of Abhijit Mukherjee`s ‘dented-painted’ remarks
New Delhi: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Thursday disapproved of the remarks by President Pranab Mukherjee`s son Abhijit who described women participating in Delhi protests against gang-rape of a student as `highly dented and painted`.
"We have to be extremely sensitive about what we say. All of us are deeply shocked and anguished," Chavan said reacting to a question about Abhijit`s remarks.
Abhijit Mukherjee, an MP from Jangipur, told a TV news channel that "those who are coming in the name of students in the rallies, sundori, sundori mahila (beautiful women), highly dented and painted".
Admitting that there are lapses in handling rape cases in states, Chavan said "we all have to do our bit to change the situation".
"In our respective states, we are taking steps to review. Things are not good (in all states). Lot of pending cases," said Chavan who reviewed the rape cases in Maharashtra with state Home Minister, Women and Child Minister and senior officials on Tuesday.
"What people really want is speedy justice. I don`t know what parliament will decide about enhancing the punishment," he said on the sidelines of the National Development Council meeting here.
The Chief Minister said Maharashtra government has decided to set up fast-track courts in all parts of the state to ensure speedy justice in rape cases.
"What everybody should decide is that there should be speedy justice one way or the other. ...We are very very seriously concerned about this issue," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL