Chavan dismisses reports of his possible return to Centre
Pune: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Friday refuted the reports that he had a meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last week during which a proposal to induct him into the union cabinet was discussed.
Reacting to media reports that Singh was keen to bring Chavan back to the Central cabinet and the proposal was considered in the Delhi meeting, the Chief Minister said here, "I deny that I had a meeting with Prime Minister Singh during my visit to Delhi last week."
Chavan said he met Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi who reviewed the Maharashtra-related matters in the presence of MPCC president Manikrao Thakre.
When asked if the Congress vice president was happy with the state`s performance, Chavan only smiled.
On the issue of the controversial Local Body Tax (LBT) which has stirred a strong agitation by traders in the state, the Chief Minister said the Supreme Court had rejected a plea against the tax. He said he was appealing the trading community to call off their strike on the issue.
Chavan also clarified that LBT had not come into effect in Mumbai yet as it would require a legislative sanction.
"We have kept our doors open for discussion to simplify the tax procedure and traders should not hold common man to ransom," he said.
The Chief Minister also denied the suggestion that he was being alienated by his coalition partner, NCP, on the issue of LBT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon