Chavan dismisses reports of his possible return to Centre
Pune: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Friday refuted the reports that he had a meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last week during which a proposal to induct him into the union cabinet was discussed.
Reacting to media reports that Singh was keen to bring Chavan back to the Central cabinet and the proposal was considered in the Delhi meeting, the Chief Minister said here, "I deny that I had a meeting with Prime Minister Singh during my visit to Delhi last week."
Chavan said he met Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi who reviewed the Maharashtra-related matters in the presence of MPCC president Manikrao Thakre.
When asked if the Congress vice president was happy with the state`s performance, Chavan only smiled.
On the issue of the controversial Local Body Tax (LBT) which has stirred a strong agitation by traders in the state, the Chief Minister said the Supreme Court had rejected a plea against the tax. He said he was appealing the trading community to call off their strike on the issue.
Chavan also clarified that LBT had not come into effect in Mumbai yet as it would require a legislative sanction.
"We have kept our doors open for discussion to simplify the tax procedure and traders should not hold common man to ransom," he said.
The Chief Minister also denied the suggestion that he was being alienated by his coalition partner, NCP, on the issue of LBT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam