Chavan has taken contract for Jaitapur project: Uddhav
Thane: Attacking Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan over the Jaitapur nuclear plant project, Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray on Friday said it seemed he has taken a "contract" for the 9,900 MW plant coming up in Ratnagiri district.
Speaking to media persons here, Thackeray said that "the manner in which the Jaitapur nuclear power project (JNPP) is being speeded up by the state government, it appears it has taken a contract to implement the project at all costs".
Thackeray said it was Maharashtra`s misfortune that in its golden jubilee year, it had got such "a weak and a liar Chief Minister" who was levelling allegations against Shiv Sena to hide the bloodstains of Tabrez Pehekar, an anti-JNPP protester killed in police firing last week.
Thackeray`s comment came in retaliation to Chavan`s recent statement that Thackeray had agreed to support the Jaitapur project but later backtracked on the issue and started opposing it vehemently, as well as allegations by senior Congress leader and state Industries Minister Narayan Rane that the Shiv Sena had got an offer of Rs 5 billion from 11 corporate houses to scuttle the project.
"For the government, it does not matter if people get killed or the state gets ruined, but the nuclear power project must be implemented. Will the CM clarify from whom he has taken a contract for this?" Thackeray demanded.
The Sena leader said his party would not tolerate risk to the people of the state, especially of Ratnagiri - who are opposing the project - for increasing the power supply by a few percent.
Instead, the government should set up nuclear power plants in other states where the power produced would be sold and Maharashtra could buy its power requirements from them, he suggested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands