Chavan has taken contract for Jaitapur project: Uddhav
Thane: Attacking Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan over the Jaitapur nuclear plant project, Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray on Friday said it seemed he has taken a "contract" for the 9,900 MW plant coming up in Ratnagiri district.
Speaking to media persons here, Thackeray said that "the manner in which the Jaitapur nuclear power project (JNPP) is being speeded up by the state government, it appears it has taken a contract to implement the project at all costs".
Thackeray said it was Maharashtra`s misfortune that in its golden jubilee year, it had got such "a weak and a liar Chief Minister" who was levelling allegations against Shiv Sena to hide the bloodstains of Tabrez Pehekar, an anti-JNPP protester killed in police firing last week.
Thackeray`s comment came in retaliation to Chavan`s recent statement that Thackeray had agreed to support the Jaitapur project but later backtracked on the issue and started opposing it vehemently, as well as allegations by senior Congress leader and state Industries Minister Narayan Rane that the Shiv Sena had got an offer of Rs 5 billion from 11 corporate houses to scuttle the project.
"For the government, it does not matter if people get killed or the state gets ruined, but the nuclear power project must be implemented. Will the CM clarify from whom he has taken a contract for this?" Thackeray demanded.
The Sena leader said his party would not tolerate risk to the people of the state, especially of Ratnagiri - who are opposing the project - for increasing the power supply by a few percent.
Instead, the government should set up nuclear power plants in other states where the power produced would be sold and Maharashtra could buy its power requirements from them, he suggested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections