Chavan on Deshmukh: We have lost a generous, charismatic leader
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has condoled the death of Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, saying the State has lost a generous and charismatic leader.
"We have lost a generous and charismatic leader. It`s a big loss to our State. I have lost a friend," Chavan said said in a statement here.
"In fact, we never saw Vilasrao sick or nervous. He always stood gracefully and tall in any situation and faced challenges with smile on his face. He was not only popular in the (Congress) party but had friends in Opposition too.
"Hence, all of us were upset when we heard the news of about his illness. Today in the afternoon, we were shocked after listening about his sad demise."
"Last week I had visited the hospital in Chennai where Vilasrao was undergoing treatment and discussed with doctors about his recovery. We were hopeful about his liver transplantation surgery. But unfortunately all the efforts went in vain," the Chief Minister said.
"I knew him for many years. With his outlook and vision he reached to the higher positions in the party. Since beginning of his political career he worked hard and won the confidence of party leaders. He will be always remembered for his leadership quality and generosity," Chavan maintained.
His journey from the post of a Sarpanch to the Chief Minister was an inspirational success story for every politician. He had a vision for development of Maharashtra and dreamt of making Mumbai as a world-class city, he said.
Describing Deshmukh as a real mass leader, Home Minister RR Patil said the State has suffered an irreparable loss with the sudden demise of the Congress veteran.
Talking to reporters in Gadchiroli district, he said the former Chief Minister provided a stable leadership to Maharashtra during difficult times like 26/11 terrorist attack and July 2005 Mumbai floods.
Recalling his long association with Deshmukh, the NCP leader said he took criticism in his stride and won over political opponents also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi