Chavan on Deshmukh: We have lost a generous, charismatic leader
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has condoled the death of Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, saying the State has lost a generous and charismatic leader.
"We have lost a generous and charismatic leader. It`s a big loss to our State. I have lost a friend," Chavan said said in a statement here.
"In fact, we never saw Vilasrao sick or nervous. He always stood gracefully and tall in any situation and faced challenges with smile on his face. He was not only popular in the (Congress) party but had friends in Opposition too.
"Hence, all of us were upset when we heard the news of about his illness. Today in the afternoon, we were shocked after listening about his sad demise."
"Last week I had visited the hospital in Chennai where Vilasrao was undergoing treatment and discussed with doctors about his recovery. We were hopeful about his liver transplantation surgery. But unfortunately all the efforts went in vain," the Chief Minister said.
"I knew him for many years. With his outlook and vision he reached to the higher positions in the party. Since beginning of his political career he worked hard and won the confidence of party leaders. He will be always remembered for his leadership quality and generosity," Chavan maintained.
His journey from the post of a Sarpanch to the Chief Minister was an inspirational success story for every politician. He had a vision for development of Maharashtra and dreamt of making Mumbai as a world-class city, he said.
Describing Deshmukh as a real mass leader, Home Minister RR Patil said the State has suffered an irreparable loss with the sudden demise of the Congress veteran.
Talking to reporters in Gadchiroli district, he said the former Chief Minister provided a stable leadership to Maharashtra during difficult times like 26/11 terrorist attack and July 2005 Mumbai floods.
Recalling his long association with Deshmukh, the NCP leader said he took criticism in his stride and won over political opponents also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why