Chavan raps erring sugar factories
Pune: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj
Chavan on Friday told the powerful cooperative sugar industry to
refrain from demanding "crutches" in form of the government
support and asked the sector to adopt "professional and
transparent management" practises.
"I am going to ask the co-operatives minister to make
it compulsory for every factory to put its balance-sheet on
website," Chavan said and expressed his scepticism as to what
extent the state government could assist the sector which
needed "fiscal discipline".
The Chief Minister said the number of sick factories
was going up and only a few were being managed efficiently.
"Even the state cooperative bank is handicapped to
extend financial support to sugar sector. Mismanaging
factories cannot be shielded," he said while acknowledging the
need to stabilise the industry.
Chavan also criticised those who were spearheading
current agitation in the state demanding hike in prices for
sugar cane growers saying the farmers were being misled.
"What is important is the final price that is given to
the cane growers and not the quantum of advance payment," he
Chavan had a word of praise for Union agriculture
minister Sharad Pawar who was on the dais along with his
nephew and deputy Chief Minister Ajit, saying he was
performing a "balancing act" by protecting the interests of
both farmers and consumers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues