Chavan raps erring sugar factories
Pune: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj
Chavan on Friday told the powerful cooperative sugar industry to
refrain from demanding "crutches" in form of the government
support and asked the sector to adopt "professional and
transparent management" practises.
"I am going to ask the co-operatives minister to make
it compulsory for every factory to put its balance-sheet on
website," Chavan said and expressed his scepticism as to what
extent the state government could assist the sector which
needed "fiscal discipline".
The Chief Minister said the number of sick factories
was going up and only a few were being managed efficiently.
"Even the state cooperative bank is handicapped to
extend financial support to sugar sector. Mismanaging
factories cannot be shielded," he said while acknowledging the
need to stabilise the industry.
Chavan also criticised those who were spearheading
current agitation in the state demanding hike in prices for
sugar cane growers saying the farmers were being misled.
"What is important is the final price that is given to
the cane growers and not the quantum of advance payment," he
Chavan had a word of praise for Union agriculture
minister Sharad Pawar who was on the dais along with his
nephew and deputy Chief Minister Ajit, saying he was
performing a "balancing act" by protecting the interests of
both farmers and consumers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- Must Read: These are Apple CEO Tim Cook's plans for India!
- NEET Ordinances get President's assent, decks cleared for UG medical admissions by states
- Subhash Chandra steps down as chairman of Zee Media
- DNA samples taken as searchers hunt for EgyptAir plane
- Salt had more value than gold in ancient times – Know why!