Chavan requests railway ministry for air-conditioned trains
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has requested the union railway ministry to consider door closing technology on a few rakes on an experimental basis and introduction of cushioned seats in ladies` second class coaches on suburban trains in a phased manner.
In a letter to the Union Railway Minister Sadanand Gowda today, ahead of the railway budget, Chavan also demanded introduction of air-conditioned suburban services as a pilot project as well as adequate funds for construction of modern toilets on suburban railway stations in Mumbai.
"A number of commuters have been killed or injured while crossing tracks, boarding crowded trains or falling off trains. Funds must be provided for construction of escalators, and foot overbridges," Chavan wrote.
He said that metropolitan transport projects are critical for the development of the Mumbai metropolitan region and to provide cheap and fast suburban services.
He requested an enhanced outlay of Rs 50 crore for the Belapur-Uran double line, from Rs 40 crore provided in the interim budget.
Chavan said that the project would connect Uran directly with Mumbai and also facilitate transportation in the proposed Navi Mumbai International Airport notified area.
He said that the outlay for Mumbai Urban Transport Project (MUTP) II should be increased to Rs 500 crore from Rs 375 crore provided in the interim project.
Chavan demanded an outlay of Rs 100 crore to initiate projects to double the Panvel-Karjat corridor and construction of a link from Airoli on the transharbour section to Kalwa.
He said that the Mumbai suburban network presently carries about 7.5 million commuters per day.
The demand for services is increasing from the
transharbour area (Thane-Nerul-Vashi) and harbour section of the Central Railway and Borivali-Virar-Dahanu route of Western Railway.
There is a demand to introduce three more 15 coach suburban rakes in lieu of the existing 12 car rakes on Central Railway and introduce 50 additional services on the main line and transharbour line, he said.
Similarly, he sought introduction of 50 additional services on the main line of Western Railway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon