Chavan seeks cooperation of US in strengthening state security
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday sought co-operation of the department
of US Homeland Security to strengthen the security apparatus
of the state in the wake of looming terror threat and evolving
Chavan, during his meeting with the US Secretary of
Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, apprised her about the
steps being undertaken by the Maharashtra Home department in
upgradation and strengthening of police force in the aftermath
of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
He said information and technology sharing by the US
Home Land security would be essential in upgrading and
strengthening overall internal security of the state.
"Besides information sharing with respect to
technology, intelligence gathering and training would also
prove useful," the chief minister said.
The visiting US official lauded the efforts like
modernisation of police force with sophisticated weapons and
technological gadgets, improving of coastal security,
undertaken so far by Maharashtra government.
Senior police officials and bureaucrats were present
at the meeting with the American delegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender